This low GI alternative to your regular morning pancakes is delicious when topped with some Balkan yogurt (higher protein) and fresh fruit. My kids loved them!
The cinnamon is a terrific flavour addition that we weren’t used to! This recipe is courtesy of Meals in Minutes. The kids love them and there are usually extras in the fridge that we can just pop into the toaster for pancakes in a rush!
Makes 4 servings [ Calories 220 | CARBS 37g | PROTEIN 10g | FAT 4g | FIBER 9g ]
- 11/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 13/4 cup skim milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a large bowl, mix whole wheat flour, ground flaxseed, cinnamon, sugar, and baking powder.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together skim milk, egg and vanilla. Pour wet mixture into flour mixture and stir until combined.
3. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Spray with oil before spooning batter into pan. Reduce heat to medium-low. When tiny bubbles appear on top side of pancake, flip and cook for approximately 2 more minutes or until golden and cooked through.
4. Serve with toppings such as fresh fruit, no-sugar jams, or 1 tsp peanut butter or almond butter. In order to release the oil in flaxseed, it is necessary to grind the seeds into flax meal. All it takes is a few seconds in a coffee grinder.
*We tried topping ours with some coconut whipped cream. So tasty but I added too much vanilla and it lost its fluffiness. You should totally try it!
Elizabeth is a Kamloops lifer. Born at RIH, she is happy to be raising her family here. Married with four wonderful children, Elizabeth is also teacher and enjoys working with parents as she learns more about this “Mommy gig”. Elizabeth is passionate about parenting and enjoys networking with other parents.