One of my favorite summertime activities is enjoying a picnic at Riverside Park with the family on a warm summer evening before heading over to the Rotary Bandshell for some Music in the Park. We like to fill up our collapsible cooler with fresh fruit, veggies and a selection of easy to make salads.
This Chicken Kale Quinoa Salad is one of our favorite salads. I prepare the chicken breasts ahead of time and refrigerate, ready to be used at a moment’s notice.
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1 medium-sized head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 8 stalks of kale, chopped
- handful (each) of raw almonds, pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Cook the chicken breasts. I prefer the following method, as it consistently produces tender and moist chicken, perfect for adding to salads:
2. Cook the quinoa, then let cool in the refrigerator in a large container.
3. Chop the broccoli into little florets.
4. Remove the stem and chop the kale leaves.
5. Toss the broccoli and kale into the quinoa.
6. To prepare the dressing, whisk together the mustard, apple cider vinegar and oil. Add salt and fresh cracked pepper, then pour over the salad.
7. Add slices of the cooked chicken breast and top with the nuts and seeds. Serve immediately or refrigerate for later.