I first made this chipotle beef stew while camping up at Jasper National Park back in 2012.
It’s now a favorite of our family and we make it almost each time we head out on a camping trip!
1 tsp chipotle salsa OR 1 tsp chipotle chili seasoning
1 lb of stewing beef
2 tbsp cooking oil
1.5 tbsp flour
large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
Just under a cup of chopped fresh tomatoes or canned
3 cups of beef stock
1 cup of fresh green beans, cut into pieces
pinch of sugar
salt and pepper
1. Put the flour in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
2. Add the beef to the seasoned flour and toss to coat.
3. Heat the cooking oil in a skillet (we use our largest MSR cooking pot) and brown the beef over high heat.
4. Add the onions and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes, reconstituted chipotle chili OR the salsa OR the chipotle chili seasoning and the beef stock.
6. Bring to a boil, cover , grab a book and camping chair and let the stew simmer over low heat for 1.5 hours.
7. Serve over rice and enjoy!
What are some of your favorite camping recipes?