I first made this chipotle beef stew while camping up at Jasper National Park back in 2012.
It’s now a favorite of our family and we make it almost each time we head out on a camping trip!
1 tsp chipotle salsa OR 1 tsp chipotle chili seasoning
1 lb of stewing beef
2 tbsp cooking oil
1.5 tbsp flour
large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
Just under a cup of chopped fresh tomatoes or canned
3 cups of beef stock
1 cup of fresh green beans, cut into pieces
pinch of sugar
salt and pepper
1. Put the flour in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
2. Add the beef to the seasoned flour and toss to coat.
3. Heat the cooking oil in a skillet (we use our largest MSR cooking pot) and brown the beef over high heat.
4. Add the onions and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes, reconstituted chipotle chili OR the salsa OR the chipotle chili seasoning and the beef stock.
6. Bring to a boil, cover , grab a book and camping chair and let the stew simmer over low heat for 1.5 hours.
7. Serve over rice and enjoy!
What are some of your favorite camping recipes?
Jodi is originally from Montréal, Quebec but spent a few years in Northern New Brunswick after graduating from University. She moved to Kamloops in the Spring of 2010 with her family and works as an educational assistant. Her 7 and 8 year old keep her really busy as they love exploring the area and enjoying what Kamloops has to offer!