- This event has passed.
Kamloops Introduction to Orienteering
May 17, 2017 @ 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm
Registration is open! Please confirm your attendance in this Google form.
Welcome to the first night of the Kamloops Learn to Orienteer and weeknight series. This series will teach you all about orienteering starting with the basics, and will gradually work on introducing new skills each week so that by the end of June you are an expert! There will be a separate orienteering course each week for current orienteers. The course is built to be cohesive with each week building on the next, but showing up for just a couple of the events is better for your navigation than none! All our events are outside and active, beginning with a brief skill being taught, followed up by an orienteering course to re-enforce the concept. You can expect to be on and off trails.
Each week will follow about the same schedule with each event lasting about an hour and a half
- 17:30 – Registration Opens
- 17:45 – Orienteering Skill of the Week Lesson (Orienteering Course for current orienteers opens)
- 18:00 – Orienteering Courses Starts (for introduction to orienteering participants)
- 19:00 – Orienteering Courses Closes
Learn to Orienteer and Kamloops Weeknight Series
This series of events are for everyone, regardless of fitness or experience. They are designed for families with kids, but are open to everyone. Children under 12 require a parent to participate with them.
We think everyone should try this introduction to orienteering series and especially if you:
- Have heard about this unusual sport of orienteering and would like to learn more about it;
- Enjoy running or hiking but get a little bored grinding out the miles;
- Enjoy maps and thinking on the run;
- Don’t enjoy maps but want to learn to read them better (5 Reasons Why We Should Still Read Maps);
- Are interested in an activity that you can do with your friends or as a whole family;
- Love being outdoors or in the woods.
When and Where:
Each will take place in a different city park within city limits and will run on Wednesday evenings starting at 5:30 from the start of May to the middle of June. Check each event page to get the exact meeting location for each week. Doesn’t fit your schedule? We also have weekend events where beginners are always welcome! Check out the full schedule for details.
- May 3 – Valleyview Sprint Map
- May 10 – McCarthur Island
- May 17 – Bunker Bench
- May 24 – Thompson Rivers University
- May 31 – Mount Dufferin – Pacific Way Trailhead
- June 7 – Mount Dufferin – Hillside Drive Trailhead
- June 14 – Pacific Way Elementary
What to Wear and Bring:
Ensure that you have good footwear for running on and off trails with decent grip. Wear something comfortable that you don’t mind getting a little dirty! If it’s wet outside you might want to consider a change of shoes and socks. A compass is optional. If you have a whistle, please bring one. Wear running clothes suitable for being outside and active and suitable for the weather. Bring something to drink and some snacks for afterwards.
Registration is open! Please sign up in this Google form.
For insurance purposes, all participants must be members of the Sage Orienteering Club. Membership gives you access to all Orienteering Canada events across the country, including all Sage Orienteering Club events. A membership form can be found here, or is available at any of our events. To speed things up at registration, please print off the form and bring it with you to your first event. The membership costs are as follows:
- Family – $40
- Adult – $20
- Youth – $10
Costs per person:
- Drop in cost – $5/week (to a maximum of $20/family)
- Entire Kamloops Weeknight Series Discount Rate (all 7 weeks) – $30 (to a maximum of $100/family)
The following orienteering courses will be available each week:
- Short Beginner Course (short distance, easy navigation)
- Long Beginner Course (longer distance, easy navigation)
- Current Orienteers (longer distance, harder navigation)
Questions or concerns? Feel free and contact us!