- This event has passed.
Science Lecture Series: Mushrooms – From Delicious to Deadly
October 25, 2017 @ 6:30 pm
Science Lecture Series 2017
at the BIG Little Science Centre
Doors open at 6:30pm, lecture begins at 7pm. For older children and adults.
Entry by donation.
What You Need to Know About Eating Wild
Mushrooms: From Delicious to Deadly
Dr. Gary Hunt
Wednesday, October 25
Of the thousands of North American wild mushrooms, the clear majority are not toxic
and will not make you sick. Most that are non-poisonous are inedible due to texture,
objectionable flavour or no flavour. About 20% will make you sick but not kill you; less
than 1% WILL kill you. There is no single test you can perform that will determine if a
mushroom is poisonous. In this presentation, we will explore how to identify the best
edibles in our region and avoid species that will cause your guts to rumble, or WORSE.
Bio: Dr. Gary Hunt attended Oregon State University and holds a Ph.D. Degree in Botany
with a specialization in mycology (the study of fungi). He taught for 18 years in the
Department of Natural Resource Sciences at TRU. Currently retired, he is very active with
the Kamloops Naturalist Club, and is generally an all-around fun-gi.
Jodi is originally from Montréal, Quebec but spent a few years in Northern New Brunswick after graduating from University. She moved to Kamloops in the Spring of 2010 with her family and works as an educational assistant. Her 7 and 8 year old keep her really busy as they love exploring the area and enjoying what Kamloops has to offer!