1) Pick your grapes. We used our fingers and gardening shears. We may have wound up in the ER but everything worked out okay and I have a brave and happy little man.
2) Wash the grapes and pick them off the bunches.
3) Smash and Smush! This was the really fun part. My son loved it!
4) boil the grapes and continue to smush them. I boiled them for about ten minutes and crushed them with a potato masher while they were cooking down.
5) Strain the juice from the grapes. This part was tricky and I feel like I could have gotten more juice out but I was still happy with the grape juice concentrate I had, in the end.
At this point I froze my juice into containers. I could have canned it but I was being lazy. When I am looking for some juice I will pull out a jar and mix it with water to taste. The concentrate was delicious, on its own! I didn’t need to add any sweeteners and the kids and I really enjoyed it!
There are lots of grape vines going begging for picking these days! Enjoy picking and squashing!
Elizabeth is a Kamloops lifer. Born at RIH, she is happy to be raising her family here. Married with four wonderful children, Elizabeth is also teacher and enjoys working with parents as she learns more about this “Mommy gig”. Elizabeth is passionate about parenting and enjoys networking with other parents.