Have you seen the Red Book Shelf around town? Do you know what they are used for?
These visibly bright red bookshelves are stocked with free books from the Heap the Honda Children’s Book Drive and was introduced by Literacy in Kamloops (LinK), to help promote a love of reading in young children. Children can take books home, keep them, return them, or trade them for new books.
You can find a Bright Red Bookshelf at
- Sahali Mall
- Boys and Girls Club of Kamloops
- White Buffalo Aboriginal Health Society & Resource Centre
- Downtown YMCA-YWCA, Interior Community Services
- Secwepemc Child and Family Services Agency
- Kamloops Child Development Centre
- Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Kamloops
- Big Little Science Centre
- Kamloops Food Bank
- Kamloops Immigrant Services
- Westsyde pool.
Next time you pass one of these Bright Red Bookshelves, take the time to examine the books with your child and allow them to pick out a special book. Then, plan to return the book or another book in its place.
Happy summer reading!
Jodi is originally from Montréal, Quebec but spent a few years in Northern New Brunswick after graduating from University. She moved to Kamloops in the Spring of 2010 with her family and works as an educational assistant. Her 7 and 8 year old keep her really busy as they love exploring the area and enjoying what Kamloops has to offer!